Wednesday, December 3, 2008

First few nights at home...

We got released from the hospital on Sunday and it was such a nice feeling to be home. Van has been the perfect baby. I have been breastfeeding and he has been doing great. I wasn't producing enough milk in his first few days so we have been supplementing with formula a few feedings a day since he is so big! Well, our first night at home was quite eventful! I feed him like normal, no formula, and then put him in his crib for the first time. Well needless to say he is wide awake. We leave him since he is not crying and head to bed, well about 5 minutes later the crying begins. John is great and took care of him by walking around and holding him. About an hour later John thinks he is hungry so I go to feed him. After his meal he is tired and fall asleep for about an hour and wakes up again. John goes to consul him and after an hour he says he is hungry again. So another feeding. After I am done I notice he is sucking on his hand and I think he is still hungry so I give him a little formula. When I go to burp him the formula comes up all over me and poor little Van. Let the crying begin! I get us both cleaned up and then put him down and about 10 minutes later more crying and I noticed he spit up again. Being a first time parent I freak out and call our dr. office (they have a nurse on call 24 hours) and ask all sorts of questions. She said if he spits up one more time to bring him to the ER but until then just to watch him. Needless to say we spent the rest of the night on the couch with Van in my arms. Everything turned out to be just fine, I overfed him and he was too cold. At least we made it through our first night!

The next night was much better and last night was perfect! He sleeps in 3 hour intervals and eats for about an hour so I get about 2 hours of sleep at a time. Hopefully this makes sense since I am quite tired! We have been taking pictures like crazy and I will get them uploaded on the computer hopefully tomorrow. Van will be 1 week old tomorrow, time is already flying! Thanks for reading and I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments: